Absentee Voting Week is September 26-October 3

Be an Active Voter by taking the necessary steps to vote in the 2016 U.S. elections and participating in Absentee Voting Week!

October 10 is the voter registration deadline in many states.  For some voters this might mean their paper voter registration and absentee ballot request must reach their local election officials by October 10.  In order to vote in the November 2016 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens need to have completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2016.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to ensure you are able to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter.

If you have already completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2016 and requested electronic delivery of your ballot, you will be receiving your blank ballot or instructions for how to access your ballot soon if you have not already received it.  If you are not sure about the status of your absentee ballot request, you should contact your local election officials in the United States or check the status of your registration via your state’svoter registration verification website.

American Citizen Services at the Embassy provides voter assistance from 9 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with the exception of Greek and U.S. holidays and the last Wednesday of each month.  Completed and properly addressed ballots and other voting-related materials may be dropped off at the Embassy’s Kokkali Gate during the above hours.  You may also drop voting material for mailing at the U.S. Consulate in Thessaloniki during business hours.  Normal transit time from Greece to the United States is six days.


Please help spread the word to your friends, family, and colleagues that now is the time to start thinking about overseas voting.  Consider posting on your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or other social media accounts that you are an active voter and will be dropping off or mailing your Federal Post Card Application or completed ballot.  Use #ProudOverseasVoter to help get the word out about voting and the Embassy’s Voting Party on October 14.

If you have never voted while overseas before, it’s not too late. The process is easy ­– just follow these steps:

1.    Complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

Whether you are a first-time voter or have voted absentee in past elections, complete an FPCA to receive your ballot this fall.  It allows you to register to vote and request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (presidential and state primaries, run-off, special, and the November general elections) during the course of the year in which you submit the FPCA.  Local election officials in all U.S. states and territories accept the FPCA.

The online voting assistant available at is an easy way to complete the FPCA.  It will ask you questions specific to your state and tell you if electronic ballot delivery is possible.  No matter which state you vote in, we encourage you to ask your local election officials to deliver your blank ballots to you electronically (by email, internet download, or fax, depending on your state).  Be sure to include your email address to take advantage of electronic delivery. The online voting assistant will generate a printable FPCA, which you can then print and sign.

 Submit the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

We are open for voting assistance Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm except Greek and U.S. holidays and the last Wednesday of each month.  We can mail your ballot materials back for you as long as it is properly addressed with a postage-paid envelope.  No postage is required if you print your envelope from  If it’s all sealed, signed, and addressed, you can just drop it off in our Red, White, and Blue Ballot Box in the lobby of the Kokkali Street entrance.  (We also have a Ballot Box at the Consulate General in Thessaloniki where you can drop off completed and addressed ballots.)  Otherwise, come visit our Consular Offices at the Embassy for assistance in addressing the envelope or to complete a ballot request or ballot.

If it’s more convenient for you, you can have a friend or family member drop off your FPCA at the Embassy on your behalf or you can send yourFPCA or ballot directly to your local election officials via international mail or professional courier service at your own expense.

3.    Receive Your Ballot

After submitting your FPCA, most states allow you to confirm online your registration and ballot delivery selection.  States are now required to send out ballots 45 days before an election (on or around September 24) for federal office (President, U.S. Senate, or U.S. House of Representatives) to any overseas U.S. citizen who has completed an FPCA.

4.    Return Your Ballot

As with the FPCA, you can return your voted ballot to your local election officials free of charge via the nearest embassy or consulate or mail it directly at your own expense.

Your Vote Counts

Many U.S. elections within the past 10 years have been decided by a margin of victory of less than 0.1%.  All states are required to count every absentee ballot as long as it is valid and reaches local election officials by the absentee ballot receipt deadline (differs by state).

Be an educated voter.  Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues.   You can also read national and hometown newspapers online, and search the Internet to locate articles and information.

To receive information by email about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP’s Voting Alerts (  FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter.

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact Athens’ Voting Assistance Officer at 210-720-2414, or at