Under 16 – Only One Parent Can Attend

If one custodial parent is not able to attend, s/he must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF 53 KB).  At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must also be provided.  Form DS-3053 may be notarized at a Notary Public in the U.S., a KEP office in Greece or before local police authorities.

Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.

See Show Parental Consent on State Department’s website for more information.

Both parents are required to appear with a child under age 16 to apply for the passport, or provide notarized consent to passport issuance.  Please review the requirements for parental consent for children under age 16.  If neither parent is traveling with the child, both parents will need to provide notarized consent as well as a power of attorney authorizing another adult to sign the child’s passport application on their behalf.