U.S. passport photo requirements are different from European photo requirements. Please take the time to read the following as we will only accept photographs that meet U.S. passport photo specifications. There is no photographer available at the U.S. Embassy Athens. The dimensions are the same for passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
Please note: You must remove your eye glasses for U.S. passport photos.
- You may wear glasses if you have a medical issue such as recent surgery requiring eyeglasses to protect your eyes.
- If you must wear eye glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to obtain and submit a signed statement with your application from a medical professional or health practitioner (such as a surgeon or ophthalmologist) in these cases.
Your passport photo must be:
- In color;
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper;
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size;
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. Eye height is between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm – 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance;
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background;
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera;
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open;
- Taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, unless worn for religious purposes
- Taken so there are no distracting shadows on the face or background.
If you choose to submit digitized photographs, they must meet the requirements as listed above or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.