Required Documents

You will need to bring the following:

  • Your child’s most recent U.S. passport.
  • Ιf the child has never held a U.S. passport, documentary evidence of U.S. citizenship must be provided i.e. Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Form DS-11, which is accessed online at  Complete this form online.  Print only the two pages you completed. No need to print the instruction pages.  Do not use whiteout or any form of correction fluid on your form as this will void your application.  Do not sign it.  Parents are required to sign the form before a consular officer.  In addition, on page 1 of form DS-11 under field 9, enter all legal names previously used to include name changes and the name that appears on your child’s social security card, if different.

Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. If no emergency contact is available in the U.S., when you print your form, complete this section by hand listing an “Emergency Contact” outside the U.S., instead.

  • Application form DS-64: Report a Passport Lost or Stolen.  If your child’s most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen.  This form will be automatically generated when you complete Form DS-11 and declare a passport lost or stolen using the Form Filler link.  Print only the one page you complete.  Once you report a U.S. passport lost or stolen, it is invalid and cannot be used for international travel.
  • Social Security Number is mandatory, if the child has one.  If the child has a social security number, you are required to provide it.  Complete field 5 of the passport application form.  We cannot provide this number to you, so if you’ve forgotten the social security number, and have no way of tracking it down through emails or past tax returns or family members, we advise you to contact the Federal Benefits Unit located at the U.S. Embassy Athens at
  • If your child has never had a social security number, simply type 000-00-0000 on the passport application form.  Then, print, complete and sign the English version of this Social Security Declaration (15KB) for a child under 16.
  • Proof of Parentage. Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, showing the names of the parents who will be signing the child’s passport application.  If necessary, you may replace or amend your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad by following the instructions here.  In order to obtain a state-issued birth certificate, you may order one from the National Center for Health Statistics or through vitalchek;  If your child has a Certificate of Citizenship, you must provide a Greek Birth Certificate i.e. Ληξιαρχική Πράξη Γέννησης.
  • Two recent color photos 5cm x 5cm with a white background taken within the last six months.  NOTE: U.S. passport photographs are different from European passport photo requirements and many Greek photographers are not familiar with U.S. photo specifications.  We strongly recommend that you print out the photo requirements and take them to the photographer.  Photographs that do not meet the specified requirements will be rejected.  Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable.  We advise that you bring the required photos with you.  Several shops near the Embassy offer photo services.
  • Valid Greek photo I.D. of applicant/child – Ελληνική Ταυτότητα, if available and if over 12 years or older.
  • Photos. If the identity of the applicant cannot be established by the photograph in the U.S. passport, pictures that show the progressive change of the applicant should be submitted at the time of interview.  Additional identification documents (foreign passports, government-issued IDs, etc.) may also be submitted.  Failure to provide sufficient evidence of the applicant’s identity may delay the passport application process.
  • Government issued photo I.D of parents (such as U.S or foreign passport, driving license, Greek I.D. (taftofita)  or military I.D).
  • The non-refundable application fee for a U.S passport for a child under age 16 is available in the next pages.  You will pay the fee in person to the cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy.
  • Online Appointment. Each applicant requiring a service at the Embassy must have a separate appointment.  The appointment should be scheduled in the child’s name and the child is required to appear.  The presence of the child is required together with both parents.  If one parent is unable to attend, please follow the next steps for additional information.