Under 16 – If Only One Parent Can Attend

We advise that both parents should be present at the appointment.  However, we recognize that it may not be possible in all cases.

If one parent/guardian is unable to appear at the Embassy, the non-applying parent or guardian must consent to the issuance of a passport for a minor child and must:

  • Complete in English, sign and date Form DS-3053 – Statement of Consent – Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16  (valid for 90 days) in the presence of a Certified U.S. Notary Public, a Greek Police Officer or a KEP office, send the Original Form DS-3053 and
  • Present the non-applying parent’s original ID/ Passport or submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the identification used with Form DS-3053

Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole legal and physical custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child).  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.