Exchange a Limited Validity Passport for Full Validity

If you were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at a U.S Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, you should apply to renew this passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible.

You may renew your passport by mail if your most recent U.S. emergency passport meets all of the following requirements:

  1. Was issued less than 12 months ago; and
  2. Does not have any endorsement on page 11 stating “A full validity passport must be approved by the Department of State”.

If you DO NOT meet the above two requirements, please follow the instructions for:

A Child’s Passport under the age of 16

An adult’s passport over the age of 16