Minors ages 16 and 17 require Parental Awareness

Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves.  However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

NOTE:  Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to minors aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations (PDF 187 KB) a passport generally will not be issued to a minor if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a minor has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

Examples of Parental Awareness

  • Having a parent accompany the minor when applying, or
  • A notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).

A U.S. Birth Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Greek Birth Certificate may be requested to prove parentage.  We recommend that you have the original or a certified physical copy with you on the day of your appointment.

You need to follow the instructions to Apply for an Adult Passport in Person.