Scheduling Appointment: Embassy Athens

If you reside in Greece you are required to register the birth at the U.S. Embassy in Athens through a pre-arranged appointment.  

Please note that you will be required to present the following forms and documents at the appointment.  Please carefully review the list below to ensure that you are fully prepared.  Any documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified translation.

  • Completed Form 2029– Please do not sign
  • Completed Form DS-11– Please do not sign
  • Completed FormSS-5 – Please sign at box 17
  • Birth Certificate, from the Greek Registrar’s Office (Lixiarchio), bearing the FULL NAME of the child. Birth certificates from municipalities and birth certificates without the child’s first name are NOT acceptable. Please note: If married outside of Greece, Greek authorities require that you have your Marriage Certificate translated into Greek to present at the hospital to get the hospital birth certificate. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides official translation services; the office is located at 10 Arionos Street, Psiri, Athens. Tel: 3285711/2/3; 210 3285 755. The birth certificate given by the hospital does not include the first name of the child. To name the child, both parents must appear at the Registrar’s Office with their passports or current I.D. and the hospital birth certificate to declare the child’s first name. This process is called “onomatodosia.” A new birth certificate will be issued with the full name
  • Marriage certificate:   issued by the appropriate Registrar’s Office (Lixiarchio) in Greece. If married in the U.S., a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate issued by the state where the marriage was performed. Church certificates are not acceptable. If married in Greece, a certified copy of the marriage certificate (Lixiarhiki Praxi Gamou), issued by the Registrar’s Office that has jurisdiction over your place of marriage is required. If married outside Greece, a certified copy of your civil marriage certificate must be presented with an official English translation (if the certificate is in a language other than English).
  • Divorce or death certificate:  If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.
  • Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her U.S. passport. If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, theoriginal Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship is required plus 1 photocopy of the document; The parent(s) must have acquired U.S. citizenship prior to the child’s date of birth.
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in
    the United States.  Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, tax returns, and employment records. Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence
    in the U.S. required for your circumstances.  Please see
  • Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent:The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document. Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the biographic page of the document; 
  • Child’s Greek or other foreign passportif they have been issued one. Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the biographic page of the document; 
  • Passport photograph:Two passport sized (2×2 inch) photographs – see photo requirements for specific information.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected; and
  • Application Fee(s).  

Once you have all of these forms and documents, you may schedule an appointment by clicking on “Scheduling the Appointment” below. The appointment should be scheduled in the child’s name and the child is required to appear.  The parent(s) may add their names as accompanying once the appointment has been scheduled. Security personnel screen all visitors prior to entry for their appointments. Security personnel screen all visitors prior to entry. See a list of Prohibited Items here.

Scheduling the Appointment

When scheduling the appointment you should make a written note of the following:

IMPORTANT NOTE:    When making an appointment please choose the third option, “ Report the Birth Abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number”.  UNLESS your child has traveled to the U.S. with a Greek passport and an Immigrant Visa.  In that case, click on the 2nd option, “Passport services other than adding pages”.

Please schedule an appointment at:

Each applicant requiring a service at the Embassy must have a separate appointment.

Remember, schedule the appointment in the name of your child.  Your child must accompany you to the appointment.  

Canceling the appointment

If your plans have changed and you need to postpone or cancel your appointment, that’s no problem.  But please let us know immediately by clicking, selecting “cancel appointment,” and following the instructions that appear on the screen.   By alerting us in advance, you’ll allow us to serve someone else in your place.