Follow the process detailed below if you are:
- renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
- renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16; or,
- a first-time passport applicant over age 16.
Step 1: MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE TO APPLY IN PERSON
Walk-in passport services are available by online appointment only. To apply in person schedule your appointment here Passport Appointment System. One appointment is required per person. We encourage you to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
Step 2: REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Application Form DS-11 completed electronically online, using the Passport wizard link here. Do not sign the form. Print it and bring with you on the day of your appointment. Incomplete applications will delay passport processing. See Tips for applicants applying in Greece.
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (previous U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad and/or Naturalization certificate)
- Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport/I.D. or military ID)
- One recent color photo (taken within the last six months), 5cm x 5cm with a white background. NOTE: U.S. passport photographs are different from European passport photo requirements and many Greek photographers are not familiar with U.S. photo specifications. We strongly recommend that you print out the photo requirements and take them to the photographer. Photographs that do not meet the specified requirements will be rejected. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. A photo booth is available in our waiting area. The cost for two photographs is 10.00 Euros. Please bring the exact amount in Euros only as the photo booth does not give change. It may be difficult for an infant or a minor child to be photographed in the booth. We advise that you bring the required photos with you. Several shops near the Embassy offer photo services.
- Age progression photos: If the applicant was under age 5 at the time his/her last passport was issued and is now an adult, present 1-2 photographs per year from the date the passport was issued until present, to show how his/her appearance has changed. Age progression photos are also required if many years have lapsed since your last passport was issued. Family of informal photographs are acceptable.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified copies by the issuing authority are acceptable)
Step 3: PASSPORT FEES
To view the applicable fee in USD or Euros, please click here (Note these are set rates that are updated periodically and are not affected by daily currency conversion fluctuations). Accepted payment methods are cash (USD or Euros) or credit card s – Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Diners. The application fee is non-redundable.
Note: If you are applying for a passport at the Consulate in Thessaloniki or at one of our outreach visits, the fees are payalbe by a bank check in Euros, purchased from a Greek bank, made payable to the American Embassy, Athens.
Step 4 – DELIVERY OF PASSPORT
For the delivery of your passport you may bring with you a pre-paid return envelope for registered mail which you must purchase from a local post office. (see sample from ELTA). The cost is 3.00 Euros The envelope may contain up to two passports. Alternatively, if you prefer to have your passport returned by courier, please enclose a note to that effect, and provide a plain 16 x 23 cm self-addressed envelope with your mobile phone number. The courier will be paid by you upon receipt of the passport. The cost is 5.00 Euros within the Attiki area and 8.00 Euros for the rest of Greece. For status updates on courier deliveries, please contact Courier Center at 210-751-2000 three business days following receipt of the e-mail notification that your passport is ready.
Note: An envelope with Greek stamps is not suitable for registered mail and cannot be used for the delivery of your passport.