Notaries Public

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.


Notarial services are available by appointment at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Athens Greece and on a limited basis at the U.S. Consulate General in Thessaloniki. .

Embassy hours for this service are Monday through Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., except Greek and American holidays.  We are also closed the last Wednesday of every month.  Consulate hours are Tuesdays, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., except Greek and American holidays.

How to prepare for your visit to the U.S. Embassy for a notarial service:

  1. Before you come to the Embassy or Consulate, read your document(s) through carefully and make sure you understand the document(s). If a document is not clear, check with the office or organization requiring the notarized document or your legal advisor. Consular staff cannot explain your document(s) to you.
  2. Mark every page where the notary needs to sign, with a marker sticker sticking out of the document. Also make clear which pages should be attached to each other, for instance with a paper clip.
  3. Fill in the document(s) with the appropriate names, places, and dates. However, do not sign your document – you will sign under oath at the Embassy or Consulate, in front of a Consular Officer.
  4. Set up an appointment.
  5. Bring a valid government-issued photo ID. A passport is best.
  6. Bring the entire document(s), even if only one page is to be notarized.
  7. If your document requires witnesses in addition to the notary, you must bring these witnesses with you. Consular staff cannot serve as witnesses. Witnesses cannot be relatives and need a passport to enter.
  8. The fee is US$50 per consular seal. At the Embassy fees may be paid in Euro or USD cash, bank checks in Euro only made out to the “American Embassy,” or by credit card. Personal checks are not accepted. At the Consulate in Thessaloniki, which has no cashiering capability, payments must be made by bank checks in Euro only made out to the “American Embassy.”

Note: Due to the number and complexity of documents being prepared for customers, please note you can expect the process to take approximately 90 minutes, though that can vary depending on the number of people ahead of you and the complexity of their or your documents.



An affidavit is a sworn statement. Using our blank affidavit form , you can write out almost any statement you may wish to make. Please do not sign the form before you come to the Embassy. You will need to sign it in front of a Consular officer, whose role is to confirm the identity of the person making the statement.

Example of an affidavit for Athens (PDF 210KB)
Example of an affidavit for Thessaloniki (PDF 9KB)

Power of attorney

A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal actions on your behalf. A common example of this is empowering someone else to buy or sell property in the United States in your name while you are overseas. We cannot advise you on the specific language or content of a power of attorney, so you may wish to consult a lawyer or other appropriate advisor before coming to see us to have your power of attorney notarized.

You can use our blank Power of Attorney form below or you may use one supplied to you by your attorney, bank, or company.

Ensure that you understand the contents of your document. An officer at the Embassy or Consulate cannot explain it to you. Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization.  Do not sign the document!

Example of a POA form for Athens (PDF 80KB)
Example of a General POA form for Athens (PDF 85KB)
Example of a POA form for Thessaloniki  (PDF162KB)
Example of a General POA form for Thessaloniki (PDF 165KB)

Affidavit of marriage

The Affidavit of marriage must be completed in English and in Greek. If you do not write Greek please bring the translation of your birth certificate(s) for the completion of the Greek part of your affidavit. Do not sign the document.

Example of an affidavit of marriage in English (PDF 294KB)
Example of an affidavit of marriage in Greek (PDF 119KB)

Financial or Real Estate Transaction such as Grant or Warranty Deed, Bill of Sale, Closing Affidavit, Assignment of Lease or Disbursement Instructions

Ensure that you understand the contents of the document. A consular officer cannot explain it to you. Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization. Do not sign the document!

True copy of a U.S. passport

A consular officer at the Embassy or Consulate can take a true copy of a U.S. passport or a foreign passport for the issuance of an ITIN number. Any person may present the passport to be copied.  The appointment must be made in the name of the person attending.

Statement of consent

If you are applying for a passport service for a child under 16, and only one parent is able to appear, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.   You must present your government-issued photo I.D. (such as your U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) together with the Form DS-3053. There is no fee for this service.

Certification of U.S. savings bonds

For general information on U.S. Savings Bonds, see which also has this handy Savings Bonds calculator.

Redeeming bonds from abroad: U.S. Savings Bonds cannot be presented for immediate payment while the owner is abroad.  The owner must execute a request for payment in the presence of a U.S Consul at the Embassy or Consulate and then mail the bonds to an appropriate authority in the United States.  You can execute a request for payment at the by appointment only.

You must present a passport or any other type of I.D with a photo as proof of identification.  If the name in your passport or I.D. differs from that on the bond, you must present evidence of a name change. Do not sign the document!

After your signature has been witnessed, the bonds along with the request for payment should be forwarded to the United States to either of these addresses

Federal Reserve                         or                            Bank of Pittsburgh Bureau of the Public Debt
P.O. Box 867                                                              P.O. Box 7012
Pittsburgh, PA 15230                                                 Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012

If you are a U.S. citizen, you should prepare a signed statement to be sent to the United States with the bonds.  This statement should include your Social Security Number, date and place of birth, country of residence, and the name and address of the authority to which taxes are paid.

If you are a citizen of a country with a tax treaty with the United States, you should complete IRS FORM W-8 to claim exemption from the U.S. tax on the bond(s) interest.  Submit this form along with the bonds.  IRS FORM W-8 is available on line at


The following documents cannot be notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Athens or the U.S.  Consulate General in Thessaloniki. 


U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not have the authority to affix an “apostille” to American documents.   The Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued is authorized to affix the Apostille on your document.  To find the addresses of Secretaries of State and more detailed instructions on the procedure to be followed, please click on the following useful links:

Authentication of U.S. documents:

U.S. State and Local government websites:

Certify copies of academic credentials

U.S. Embassies and Consulates cannot provide this service.   Please contact the issuing educational institution. More information is available from the Department of State website at :

Medallion Signature Guarantee

A consular officer cannot perform a Medallion Signature Guarantee (which is a financial institution’s guarantee that an investor’s signature is genuine as well as its acceptance of any liability for any forgery within the securities transfer instruction) Please do not schedule an appointment for this.  For more information, see the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website.

General questions about Medallion Signature Guarantees should be directed to the SEC’s Office of Investor Education and Assistance, by email to, by phone at 1-800-SEC-0330, by fax at 202-772-9295, or by mail to 100 F Street, NE, Washington, D.C., 20549-0213.

Obtain copies of U.S. vital records

U.S Embassies and Consulates cannot provide copies of U.S. vital records. In order to obtain any state government issued document concerning birth, death, marriage or divorce, you may order one from the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.


You also may consider going through the Greek system for notarial services, which some may find to be a more convenient and less expensive option.  Your document(s) may be notarized by the local KEP and then have an Apostille stamp obtained by the local Secretary General of the Decentralized Administration.

Apostille may also be obtained through KEP (Citizen Service Centers in Greece)