Greek Visas and Residency Permits for U.S. Citizens


If you wish to stay in Greece for longer than 90 days within a 180-day period, you should apply for a visa at Greek Embassy or Greek Consulate prior to your arrival in Greece.  Visas may be issued for property owners, students, employment, athletes, coaches, etc.  Contact the closest Greek Mission to your area of residence for requirements.  U.S official and diplomatic passport holders must obtain a visa prior to arrival to Greece. If traveling on official military orders, see the Department of Defense Clearance Guide.  Greek missions in the United States may be found here.

Residency Permits

There are many categories of residence permits. In most of the cases, U.S. citizens will need to obtain a visa from the Greek Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction over the area of their residence abroad. Upon your arrival in Greece, you should apply for the residence permit at the Decentralized Administration Office of your area of residence prior to the expiration of your visa.  U.S. citizens married to European citizens may apply for a Greek residency permit.

For questions concerning residence permits, please call or visit one of the following Decentralized Administration offices in the prefecture of Attica or see the Ministry of Immigration and Asylum web page.

Decentralized Administration 

  • Athens and West Attica:  2 Salaminias Str. & Petrou Ralli Ave., Tavros; Tel. 210-340-3350
  • North East Attica: 19 Psaron Str., Pallini; Tel. 210-660-4900
  • South Attica, Piraeus, Trizinia and the Islands of Agistri, Aegina, Kythira, Poros, Salamina, Spetses, and Hydra: 5 Agiou Dionysiou Str., Piraeus; Tel. 210-414-1600