Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

If you plan to bring property into Greece duty-free, you should obtain current information directly from the Greek Consulates in the area of your residence. You may also contact a) Department of Tariff Exemptions (+30) 210.6987502b) Department of Provisional Import and Repatriates (+30) 210.6987499-500-501; FAX: (+30), E-mail:

Importation of a Car by Tourists

Persons (foreigners or Greeks) who have their normal residence abroad, in other words they usually live in another country for at least 185 day per year because of personal or professional reasons, which show close links of the person with the particular country, can bring and use temporarily in Greece their private car, their motor caravan or motorcycle, without being obliged to pay the relevant charges, for a period of six months, continuous or otherwise during a period of twelve months. The disposal (driving) of the above mentioned vehicles to other persons in Greece is not permitted. It is also not permitted for their use by third non beneficiary persons, especially when these persons have their normal residence in Greece. Infringement of these restrictions entails heavy fines and penalties. The owner of the car, if it is requested by the competent authorities, must be able to prove his normal residence or the date of entrance of the car in Greece.

Upon their entry in Greece, vehicles have to bear an official registration number, either permanent or temporary from the country that issued the circulation license, as well as the circulation license itself.Vehicles have to be insured and if the circulation license and the registration number are of temporary type, have to be valid upon the time of the entrance of the vehicle to Greece. If the registration expires, and the interested persons want to circulate the car in the country until the completion of the six months period, they have to obtain from the competent customs authority, before the expiration date, a temporary Greek registration and circulation license. The stay and circulation of a vehicle with an expired registration and circulation license entails the imposition of fines.


Upon the completion of the six month circulation, the vehicle has to be re-exported from Greece or asked in due time for its immobilization – warehousing in a private or public parking. The duration of the immobilization can’t exceed twenty four (24) months. The beneficiary can then again circulate the vehicle for six more months within a twelve month period, provided he can prove that he is still a permanent resident abroad. This process repeats itself. If during the 24 month period of immobilization the beneficiary doesn’t ask permission for the circulation of the vehicle again or doesn’t give another legal destination for the said vehicle, then after the 24 month period the said vehicle is declared unclaimed.

Importation of Vehicles and Household Effects for permanent Residence

Persons who are taking up permanent legal residence in Greece (“repatriating”) may be allowed to import their vehicle and household effects without payment of Customs duty.  This special provision of Greek law can apply to someone only if he/she is granted a residence permit before arriving in Greece.  In general, such permit is granted only to those who are of Greek descent, are married to Greek citizens, or are also being granted work permits.  (A Greek citizen may also be allowed to use this provision of law if he/she is moving back to Greece after having been legally residing outside of Greece.) The studies at a University or another faculty of a country do not mean that the person has his/her usual residence in this country.  In any case, the person wishing to import the items must contact the nearest Greek consulate in his/her country of residence, providing a list of all the items and proof of foreign residence; the Greek Consulate will provide the certificate required for duty-free import.

A vehicle imported under this provision must have been owned by the person settling in Greece for at least six months immediately prior to his/her move to Greece.  New vehicles are subject to VAT.   All vehicles are subject to the normal fees for license plates (circulation fees).

A vehicle brought into Greece duty-free cannot be sold or transferred for one year after customs clearance.  In the event that the beneficiary wishes to sell the household effects and the vehicle(s), before the restrictive year lapses, he must pay the duties that a relief was granted on top of the dues for overdue payment form the time of the import.  After the restrictive year the beneficiary, with the approval of the Customs Authority, may sell the vehicle, provided that a percentage of the registration duties is paid depending on the time that has lapsed from the date the vehicle was imported.During the annual restrictive period vehicles may be driven, apart from the beneficiary, by his/her spouse or single children. If the beneficiary is single, then his/her parents and single brothers and sisters are allowed to drive the vehicle.

Persons who wish to transfer their usual residence in Greece, in order to enjoy reduced taxation on the imported items, need to produce to the customs authorities a certificate (Pistopiitiko metoikesias), issued by the competent Greek consulate in the area of their residence abroad. For detailed info please check:


Pet animals (dogs, cats) must be identified by the electronic identification system (microchip) according to ISO standard 11784 or 11785.

Be vaccinated against rabies.

Be accompanied by a health certificate for non-commercial movement of pets Regulation (EC) No. 998/2003 endorsed by a USDA state veterinarian.

Be accompanied by a written declaration stating that the pets are not subject to be sold or transferred to another owner and will remain under the owner’s responsibility as per Article 25(3) at the Regulation (EU) No 576/2013.

For detailed info please contact the Greek Embassy in U.S. at You may also wish to contact the Ministry of Agriculture’s website

Check with the airline about their requirements for transporting animals.


Pet birds must be accompanied by the Veterinary Certificate to EU of as per Decision (2007/25/EC) completed and stamped by the competent authorities of USA.

Have undergone in isolation for 30 days prior to export at the place of departure, or have been in isolation for at least 10 days prior to export and have undergone a test to detect the avian influenza H5N1 antigen.

Be accompanied by a declaration stating that the birds are not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner, and will remain under the responsibility of the owner.

Be accompanied by a CITES certificate if required (please contact to the competent authorities of USA)

For detailed info you may also contact your closest Greek Consulate in U.S.

(Translated in Greek PDF 109 KB)


A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and if a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner’s expense might be required at the port of entry. Even though cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.


CDC regulations require that dogs imported into the United States are healthy and are vaccinated against rabies before arrival into the United States. These requirements apply equally to all dogs, including puppies and service animals. Dogs that have never been vaccinated against rabies must be vaccinated at least 30 days prior to arrival. Adult dogs older than 15 months of age that have previously received a rabies vaccination given no earlier than 3 months of age and that has since expired may be imported immediately following booster vaccination, without the need to wait for 30 days. Puppies must not be vaccinated against rabies before 3 months of age, so the youngest that a puppy can be imported into the United States is 4 months of age.

For detailed info please visit the CDC web site at:

You may also visit the USDA at:

The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be required for entry into some states, or may be required by airlines for pets. You should check with officials in your state of destination and with your airline prior to your travel date. Veterinary health certificates are issued by the Greek Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Services of the respective region.


To import a pet bird of non-U.S. origin, for personal pleasure of the individual owner and not for the resale, the owner must fulfill the following requirements:

Obtain a USDA Import Permit

Provide a current health certificate issued by a full-time salaried veterinarian employed for the agency responsible for animal health of the national government in the exporting country of origin.

Quarantine the bird for 30 days, at the owner’s expense, in a USDA animal import center (listed on the APHIS website). Please check APHIS web site:

Shipment of pets to countries other than the United States must be in keeping with the import regulations of that country.  Many nations require quarantine of the animal for as long as six months.  This can be expensive for the owner and traumatic for the animal.  Great care must be taken to ensure that all import regulations are adhered to.

(Translated in Greek PDF 196 KB)

There is no limit to the amount of declared currency a foreigner can take out or bring into Greece.  However, currency in all forms (cash, traveler’s checks, and checks) equal to or exceeding €10,000 must be declared at entry / exit from Greece at the Greek customs offices.

Due to capital controls, tax residents of Greece may take out of the country notes in Euros and in foreign currency up to the amount of 2,000 Euro per person, per journey.

The above prohibition can be implemented and variations may be provided to some categories of persons by decision of the governor of the Bank of Greece.

Travelers may bring into or take out of the U.S, including by mail, as much money as they wish. However, they are required to report negotiable monetary instruments (i.e. currency or endorsed checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a “Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments” form FinCEN 105.

The form will be given to you by a CBP officer upon your departure or return to the U.S

The penalties for non-compliance can be severe.

The American Embassy does not provide certificates of permanent residence abroad for banking purposes. Please contact your closest Greek Consulate in U.S.–contact-details-for-greek-missions.html