CRBA – Applicants over age 18: Email required documents

STEP 1 – Print the CRBA checklist (43 KB) and send it to us with the required documents #1-5 listed below by email to request an appointment:

  1. Complete online form DS-11 Application for a Passport (enter “000-00-0000” for the social security number) AND Section A (pages 1-2) of form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  Once completed, print out the forms single-sided.  Handwrite any information that needs to be added or corrected after printing out the forms.  Please do not sign the forms and do not print the instruction pages.  Important Notice: Complete in detail Items 2.2j. and 3.3j. on page 2 of form DS-2029, include all dates physically present in the U.S. from the parent’s date of birth until the birth of the child. Include time spent traveling, visiting temporarily, or studying.  Exclude trips made outside the U.S. in this period.  An example of an acceptable and correctly completed form DS-2029 is provided here (2MB)Please note that if items 2.2j & 3.3j on page 2 of DS-2029 are not completed correctly in detail, an appointment will NOT be scheduled.
  2. Original Birth Certificate, from the Greek Registrar’s Office with the title Ληξιαρχική Πράξη Γέννησης, bearing the FULL NAME of the child. ΝΟΤ a “Πιστοποιητικό Γέννησης” nor a “Απόσπασμα Ληξιαρχικής Πράξης Γέννησης”.  Birth certificates from municipalities and birth certificates without the child’s first name are NOT acceptable. Please note: If married outside of Greece, Greek authorities require that you have your Marriage Certificate translated into Greek to present at the hospital to receive the hospital birth certificate. Certified translators are available at  The birth certificate given by the hospital does not include the first name of the child. To name the child, both parents must appear at the Registrar’s Office with their passports or current I.D. and the hospital birth certificate to declare the child’s first name. This process is called “onomatodosia.” A new birth certificate will be issued with the full name.
  3. If married, Marriage Certificate. Church certificates are not acceptable. If married in the U.S., a copy of the Marriage Certificate issued by the state where the marriage was performed.  If married in Greece, a certified copy of the marriage certificate with the title “Ληξιαρχική Πράξη Γάμου” issued by the appropriate Registrar’s Office (Ληξιαρχείο) in Greece that has jurisdiction over your place of marriage.  ΝΟΤ a “Πιστοποιητικό Γάμου” nor a “Απόσπασμα Ληξιαρχικής Πράξης Γάμου”.  If married outside of Greece, a copy of your civil marriage certificate with an official English translation (if the certificate is in a language other than English) is required. Certified translators are available at  Please bring the original translation to the interview.
  4. Final Civil Divorce Decree(s) or Death certificate of spouse for all previous marriages. Send original Greek documents. Send copies of U.S. or other foreign documents and bring the original to the interview. All foreign documents not in Greek or English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Certified translators are available at  Original divorce decrees must be issued by a court. Photocopies sent from a lawyer may not be the original certified copy.
  5. Copies of valid passport/identification document for father, mother AND the child, if 12 years or older. Proof of U.S. citizenship (passport, birth certificate, or Certificate of Naturalization) and social security card for the U.S. citizen parent(s). The parent(s) must have acquired U.S. citizenship prior to the child’s date of birth. Please bring the original to the interview.

STEP 2 – Upon receipt of the above by email we will reply to your email to schedule an appointment for your family. On the day of your appointment, please bring:

6. Originals of items #4-5 (as well as originals of items #2-3 if not already submitted by mail in STEP 1)

7. If one parent is unable to attend the interview, form DS-3053 – Statement of Consent for Issuing a Passport to a Child must be completed. You should complete this form if one parent or guardian cannot come with the child to apply in person for the child’s passport when we schedule the appointment. This form is valid for 90 days. The non-applying parent/guardian must consent to the issuance of a passport for a minor child and must submit:

  • Form DS-3053 completed in English, dated and signed in the presence of a Certified U.S. Notary Public, a Greek Police Officer or a KEP office and
  • copy of the non-applying parent’s original Passport / I.D. copy of both sides of the identification presented to notarize form DS-3053

Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.
8. a. Since your child has never been issued a social security number, print, complete and sign the English version of this Social Security Declaration (15KB); for a child under 16 and this Social Security Declaration  (101KB) for an applicant over 16.
     b. For children under the age of 12 – Completed form SS-5 – Application for a Social Security Card.  Please sign at box 17. The Social Security Number may take up to 6 months to be issued. More information is available here.

    c. If your child is over 12 years of age, you need to schedule an appointment online with the Federal Benefits Unit to submit form SS-5 once the U.S. passport is issued.  For detailed information on the requirements and the process for a social security number you must visit the Social Security Administration.

9. Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Documents that might show residence include, but are not limited to, school transcripts, university transcripts, employment records, bank records showing deposits and withdrawals in the United States, fixed utility bills, passports with entry and exit stamps or DD214 Separation Statement for military members.  Please review the physical presence requirements for citizenship transmission to ensure you have sufficient evidence to prove the length of presence in the United States required for your circumstances.  Bring the documents to the interview.  They do not need to be certified documents for the initial interview.  Important Notice: Item 2.2j. on page 2 of form DS-2029 must be completed in detail, including all the trips you made in/out of the U.S. from your date of birth until the birth of your child.  An example of an acceptable and correctly completed form DS-2029 is provided here (2MB).

10. Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your other children if you have documented them as U.S. citizens.  Bring a copy of the original document to the interview.

11. Two recent color photos of the child – (2×2 inch/5x5cm) with a white background, without eyeglasses if you are applying for a U.S. passport.  We encourage you to obtain photos prior to your appointment to reduce your time at the Embassy. Several shops offer Photo Services in walking distance from the Embassy.

12. Prenatal records and/or other evidence of pregnancy/blood relationship. For example, medical test results, ultrasounds with date and mother’s name, pictures during pregnancy/after birth, hospital discharge documents. NOTE: For Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), parents should also submit records detailing the method/procedure done, including documents relating to egg and sperm collection, fertilization, embryo transfer and the contract signed with the clinic which performed the IVF.

13. The application fee is payable in cash (Euros and USD) or by credit cards. Personal checks are not accepted. The application fees are non refundable.

14. Other documents may be required depending on your unique circumstances.


Email CRBA applications & Request an appointment