CRBA – If only one parent can attend

We advise that both parents should be present at the appointment. However, we recognize that it may not be possible in all cases.

If only one parent can attend

If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the U.S. citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support is required. The form must be completed, signed and notarized, and should be presented along with a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form.

If applying also for a passport and one custodial parent is not able to attend, s/he must submit a notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent for Issuing a passport to a child. A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.  Acceptable notary authorities are KEP, Greek police stations, a U.S. Embassy or consulate, or a U.S.-based licensed notary.

Alternatively, the applying parent may submit one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order.
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent, or judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent