Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

  1. Adoption
  2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.  The child’s parents can apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

Learn more about applying for a CRBA in Greece:

Fees and payment

The passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) fees are non-refundable processing fees and are retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport and CRBA are issued.

U.S. Embassy Athens accepts cash (U.S. dollars and Euros), credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Diners Club), and American Express or U.S. postal service money orders payable to U.S. Embassy Athens.  Note that CRBA applications accepted at any other location in Greece require bank checks.

Click here to see the Fee Schedule.