Event: Heightened Middle East Tensions
There is heightened tension in the Middle East that may result in security risks to U.S. citizens abroad. The State Department is advising U.S. citizens of heightened security risks worldwide.
U.S. Embassy Athens reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security. The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Athens: +(30) 210-720-2414, +(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours), AthensAmericanCitizenServices@state.gov, https://gr.usembassy.gov
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki: +(30) 2310-376-300
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Greece Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter