Public sector employees have announced a 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for March 8, 2023.
In Athens, demonstrations related to the strike are scheduled at the Propylaia (Central Athens) at 12:30 p.m., in Klafthmonos Square at 12:30 p.m. and Syntagma Square at 1:00 p.m. In Thessaloniki, demonstrations are planned at the Statue of Eleftherios Venizelos at 12:00 p.m. Additional demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Greece during the day.
The following strikes are scheduled for Wednesday, March 8, 2023 (12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.), unless otherwise noted:
- The National Railway will be on a 24-hour strike.
- The Attica/Peloponnese Suburban Railway will be on a 24-hour strike
- Ferry and boat employees will be on a 24-hour nationwide strike.
- Buses in Athens and the Attica region will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Trolleys in Athens will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Athens Metro (Lines 2 & 3) will operate only from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Athens Green Line Train (Line 1) will operate only from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m.
- Trams in Athens will operate only from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Buses in Thessaloniki will not operate from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Other organizations may decide to join the 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for March 8, 2023 without prior warning. Please monitor www.apergia.gr for last minute strike notifications.
Actions to Take:
- Review your travel plans.
- Contact your airline or travel company for assistance.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.