Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Athens, Greece (April 6, 2020)
Event: Daily COVID-19 update to U.S. citizens in Greece – New information on applying for Greek residency permits
International commercial flight options currently exist in Greece. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Greece at this time. See our webpage for daily departure flight options.
If your Greek residency permit expires between February 11 and May 12, the Greek authorities announced an automatic five month extension from the expiration date.
If you were to apply for your first Greek residency permit between March 12 and April 10, the Greek authorities extended the deadline to file to May 10.
Please monitor the Greek Ministry of Immigration and Asylum’s website for any future updates.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- Dial 1135 if you have severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing. Do not go directly to an emergency department, doctor’s office or clinic.
- Visit our Embassy webage on COVID-19 for updates on conditions in Greece.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart Greece that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the United States from the EU.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki: +30 2310 376 300
State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444