Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Athens, Greece
Event: Today’s daily update to U.S. citizens in Greece regarding COVID-19 and local conditions: What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis
Commercial flights continue to operate. If you would like to return to the United States, possible flight options are available on our COVID-19 website. There are no plans for evacuation or chartered flights from Greece.
Answers to these questions and more about the Department’s role during crises:
- How can I receive up-to-date information during a crisis?
- What about my family and friends who are not U.S. citizens?
- Will the U.S. government always evacuate citizens in crises?
- Will the U.S. government pay for my evacuation if it is needed?
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Dial 1135 if you have severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing. Do not go directly to an emergency department, doctor’s office or clinic.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for updates on conditions in Greece.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Have a plan to depart Greece that does not rely on U.S. government assistance
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- U.S. Embassy Athens: +(30) 210-721-2951; AthensAmericanCitizenServices@state.gov; https://gr.usembassy.gov
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki: +(30) 2310-376-300
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Greece Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter