Health Alert – U.S. Mission Greece, January 20, 2021
Location: Countrywide – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director has signed an order requiring all airline passengers traveling to the United States, including U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test or recovery from COVID-19.
Event: Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide either a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel or provide a positive test result and documentation from a licensed health care provider or public health official of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Passengers must also attest, under penalty of law, to having received a negative qualifying test result or to recovery from COVID-19 and medical clearance to travel.
See the CDC Proof of Negative Test Result page to view the order, complete the attestation, and to see FAQ’s.
Airlines must deny boarding to passengers who do not meet these requirements.
COVID-19 tests are available at many major hospitals in Greece, as well as the Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (at Arrivals level between entrances 2-3). Testing is paid by the individual being tested. The cost for COVID-19 PCR tests is capped at 60 euros in Greece. U.S. citizens who may not be able to satisfy the requirements should depart immediately or prepare to be able to return to the United States until such time as they can meet the requirements.
The Embassy’s COVID-19 page contains updated information on COVID-19 preventive measures in Greece, including availability of testing as well as vaccination plans by the Greek government.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Monitor the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for updated information on COVID-19 preventive measures in Greece, including availability of testing
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information updated information on COVID-19 related information including availability of testing
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Click here for the State Department’s COVID FAQs Search Tool.
- Read the Country Information Page for Greece.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency
- Follow the State Department on Facebook and Twitter.
U.S. Embassy Athens
U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444