July 17, 2020
Embassy Athens has resumed processing limited categories of non-immigrant visa and immigrant visa applications. At this time, we are prioritizing services for citizens and residents of Greece. If you are in an excepted category listed below, you may schedule an appointment at: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/
National Interest Exceptions—Non-Immigrant Visas
The following categories of travelers now qualify for national interest exceptions (NIEs) under Presidential Proclamation 9993, which has suspended routine travel from the Schengen Area to the United States:
- Students: All students, and their dependents, traveling to the United States on an F or M visa to pursue a full course of study or on a J visa to participate in an exchange program as a bona fide student.
- Academics: All exchange visitors and their dependents traveling to the United States on J visas in the following categories: Professors, Research Scholars, Short Term Scholars, or Specialists.
- Business Travelers: Certain business travelers and investors may qualify for National Interest Exceptions under Presidential Proclamation 9993. All travelers in these categories need an ESTA or valid visa AND must first contact the US Embassy for more information about the National Interest Exception at: AthensUSConsul@state.gov
National Interest Exceptions—Immigrant Visas
The following categories of travelers may now qualify for national interest exceptions (NIEs) under Presidential Proclamation 10014, which has suspended the issuance of Immigrant Visas to protect the United States’ labor market.
- Immediate Family of a U.S. Citizen:
-The spouse of a U.S. citizen (IR/CR-1);
–The child of a U.S. citizen (IR/CR-2 or IR/IH-3)
- Health-Care Professional: With a valid I-140 to enter the United States as a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional; or to perform medical research or other research intended to combat the spread of COVID-19; and any spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old of any such alien who are accompanying or following to join the alien.
- Investor: To enter under the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
- U.S. Military: Any member of the U.S. Armed Forces and any spouse and children of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Special Immigrant Visa: To enter the United States pursuant to a Special Immigrant Visa in the SI or SQ classification and any spouse and children.
Embassy Athens continues to process official and diplomatic visas pursuant to usual processes. In addition to the NIE categories listed above, Presidential Proclamation 9993 also provides a list of enumerated exceptions, which includes air and sea crew members and spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.
Please note: For most travelers, one or more of the following (Presidential Proclamation 9993, Presidential Proclamation 10014, and Presidential Proclamation 10052) restricts their entry into the United States. If you have a need to travel to the United States, please review these proclamations before contacting our office. If you believe you are excepted and wish to schedule a visa appointment please write us at: AthensUSConsul@state.gov