Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Athens, Greece (July 24, 2018)
Location: Coastal regions and areas northeast of Athens.
Event: Local and international media are reporting multiple major forest fires on either side of the Greek capital. The first fire broke out in a pine forest near the seaside settlement of Kineta 50 kilometers (30 miles) west of Athens between the capital and Corinth. Major fires broke out Monday afternoon in the area northeast of Athens (Penteli, Viotza, Mati, Rafina, and Agios Andreas). Local authorities urge residents to evacuate.
The Athens Corinth National Road is currently open. The Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport is open. Verify your flight schedule with your carrier.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid the area.
• Follow local authority’s instructions.
• Monitor local media for updates.
• Contact the General Secretariat for Civil Protection, which responds to emergencies, at 210-335-9900 for more information.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
U. S. Consulate General, Thessaloniki
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
• Greece Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter