Location: Public sector and private sector employees announced a 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for November 9, 2022.
In Athens, demonstrations related to the strike are scheduled at the Propylaia (Athens Center) at 10:30am, in Klafthmonos Square at 11:00am, and in Piraeus in Karaiskaki Square at 11:00am. In Thessaloniki, demonstrations are planned at the Arch of Galerius (Kamara) at 10:00am, at the Statue of Eleftherios Venizelos at 10:30am, and at the Labor Center at 10:30am. Additional demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Greece during the day.
The following strikes are scheduled for Wednesday, November 9, 2022 (12:00am to 11:59pm), unless otherwise noted:
- Ferry and boat employees will be on a 24-hour nationwide strike.
- Taxis will be on a 24-hour nationwide strike.
- Athens Venizelos International Airport Air Traffic Controllers will NOT work from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Buses in Athens will operate only from 09:00 to 21:00.
- Trolleys in Athens will operate only from 09:00 to 21:00.
- Athens Metro (Lines 2 & 3) will operate only from 09:30 to 15:00.
- Athens Green Line Train (Line 1) will operate only from 09:00 to 17:00.
- Trams in Athens will operate only from 08:00 to 22:00.
- Athens Suburban Railway and National Railway will NOT operate from 09:00 to 17:00.
- Thessaloniki SKG International Airport Air Traffic Controllers will NOT work from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Buses in Thessaloniki will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Mass Media outlets will be on a 24-hour strike.
Other organizations may decide to join the 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for November 9, 2022 without prior warning. Please monitor www.apergia.gr for last minute strike notifications.
Actions to Take:
- Review your travel plans.
- Contact your airline or travel company for assistance.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
State Department – Consular Affairs
(888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates