Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Athens, Greece (January 18, 2019)
Location: Expected gathering points in Athens are Syntagma Square and Athens University in Propylea, with staging points at the Katehaki metro and the Temple of Zeus.
Event: Large demonstrations with 150,000 or more participants are expected to take place beginning at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 20, 2019 to protest the upcoming parliamentary vote on the Prespes Agreement, which would recognize the country to the north of Greece as the Republic of North Macedonia. Road closures will be extensive and could begin at 11:00 a.m. or earlier and cause extreme traffic disruptions.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid the downtown areas of Athens on Sunday, January 20. Some previous demonstrations turned violent and led to the destruction of property. There is a potential for tear-gas and anti-riot engagement between police and demonstrators.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not cross police lines through demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444