- Central Athens. In the areas of Athens University, Syntagma Square and the Exarchia areas.
- Downtown Thessaloniki—originating in the area of Kamara/Arch of Galerius
- Athens: A series of demonstrations from student and leftist groups are planned today at 12:00, 18:00, 21:00 for the 10th anniversary of the death of Alexis Grigoropoulos. These demonstrations have turned violent in the past. Expect possible spontaneous demonstrations in other areas of the city. U.S. Embassy personnel and dependents have been advised to avoid Athens city center today and be alert to spontaneous demonstrations.
- Thessaloniki: Demonstrations are planned today by students, leftist groups, and anarchists at 12:00 and at 17:00 for the 10th anniversary of the death of Alexis Grigoropoulos. Spontaneous protests may erupt in other parts of the city. These protests have become violent in the past. Police have announced that intermittent road closures may occur in the center of town from 11:00. U.S. Mission personnel and dependents have been advised to avoid Thessaloniki city center today and be alert to spontaneous demonstrations. Due to planned transportation disruptions and road closures, the Consulate will close at 16:00.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Carry a copy of photo identification with you at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- U. S. Consulate General, Thessaloniki
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444