Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Athens and U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki (May 15, 2018)
Location: Athens – Announced gathering point is Megaro Mousikis metro station followed by a march to U.S. and Israeli Embassies
Thessaloniki – Announced gathering point is Arch of Galerius – Kamara (142, Egnatia St.) followed by a march to the U.S. Consulate General
Event: Athens – A demonstration protesting the relocation of the U.S. Embassy in Israel is expected to take place May 15, starting at 6:00 p.m.
Thessaloniki – A demonstration protesting the relocation of the U.S. Embassy in Israel is expected to take place May 15, starting at 7:00 p.m.
Traffic disruptions are expected. U.S. government personnel have been instructed to depart the Embassy by 5:00 p.m. and to avoid the demonstration areas.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid crowds.
- Review your personal security plan.
- Avoid the area of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444