Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Athens and U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki, Greece
Location: Expected gathering points are the Athens Polytechnic University, continuing to Syntagma Square and the U.S. Embassy and concluding in Exarchia; in Thessalonki, the Venizelos statue (78 Egnatia Street) in Thessaloniki with a march to the Consulate General.
Event: Large demonstrations with 10,000 to 20,000 participants are expected to take place beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, 2019 to commemorate the anniversary of the 1973 protests against the then-ruling junta. Road closures will begin at 3:00 p.m.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid the downtown areas of Athens and Thessaloniki and to stay behind police lines until the Greek authorities announce the conclusion of the event. In the past, some demonstrations commemorating this date turned violent and led to the destruction of property. There is a potential for tear-gas and anti-riot engagement between police and demonstrators.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the area of the demonstration.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Do not cross police lines through demonstrations.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Keep a low profile
· Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444