Location: Throughout Greece
Event: Public sector transportation employees plan to strike beginning at 5:00 a.m. on October 2, 2019. Lines 2 and 3 of the Athens metro, railways, and trains will strike 24 hours; buses and trolleys will not operate 5:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. – midnight in Athens and reduced schedules in Thessaloniki. The workers are protesting potential changes to employment law. The strikes may cause heavy traffic and severe delays and extend to October 3-4 if an agreement is not reached.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Check with your transportation provider before your scheduled departure.
- U.S. Embassy Athens: +(30) 210-720-2414, +(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- AthensAmericanCitizenServices@state.gov ; https://gr.usembassy.gov
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki: +(30) 2310-376-300
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Greece Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates