Demonstration Alert – U. S. Consulate General Thessaloniki, Greece (February 14, 2019)
Location: Expected gathering points are the Venizelos statue (78 Egnatia Street) and the Arch of Galerius – Kamara with a possible march to the U.S. Consulate General continuing to the Port of Thessaloniki.
Event: Demonstrations with up to 1,500 or more participants are expected to take place beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 14, 2019 to protest the transit of U.S./NATO helicopters and military equipment via the Port of Thessaloniki.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid the downtown area of Thessaloniki after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 14.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not cross police lines through demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Greece Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates