Business FAQs

Whether you are a U.S. business person looking for an export opportunity, or a Greek business solutions provider looking for a new source of supply, many of your questions can be answered on the U.S. Commercial Service’s website for Greece .

The Office of Verification and Authentication does
this. You can also reach them by phone: 202-647-5002 or TDD/TDY
202-663-3468, 1-800-333-4636, email:, or fax:

If the company is located in the United States, contact the office of  the Secretary of State (within the state-level government) in whichever  state the company is headquartered. The Office of Authentication updates the list of Secretaries by State of the United States. If the company is located outside the United States, contact the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service, part of the Department of Commerce, to get information on their International Company Profile Service.

Foreign Entry requirements for Americans traveling to another country may be accessed through the website or you may contact the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to  visit. All visa inquiries must be handled through the embassy or  consulates of the country you plan to visit.

Comprehensive information on visa process and policy is available on the web at, or You should also check the website of the consulate in which the  applicant is applying — there is a link to U.S. Embassies and  Consulates from each of the above sites. The best advice is for people to apply early.

Gold Key Services, International Partner Searches, International Company Profiles and Customized Market Research reports are provided at all Foreign Commercial Service offices as well as many U.S. Embassies. Visit the Platinum Key Service program for more information.

Country Commercial Guides (CCGs) are prepared annually to provide a comprehensive look at commercial  environments, using economic, political, and market analysis.

The Department of Commerce website,, has all the information you need to start exporting. Visit the website or contact them by phone at 1-800-USA-TRADE.

The first point of inquiry in export licensing is the government office responsible for coordinating the process. Consult the following web pages for detailed information on areas of competence:

a) The State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controlsfor military-related items.

b) The Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security for export control items.

c) The Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Controlfor most terrorist states and other special programs.

A portion of the export income that is channeled through corporations that qualify as FSCs (Foreign Sales Corporations) under rules of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 921-927) can be exempt from federal income taxes. For more information, contact:

The Office of the Associate Chief Counsel (International), Internal Revenue Service

Phone: (622) 622-3830, Fax: (202) 622-4408

Or the Office of Tax Policy

Phone: (202) 622-1755, Fax: (202) 622-8784.

U.S. Government advocacy decisions are made with the best information  available. Advocacy assistance can vary, but usually it involves  companies that deal with foreign governments or government-owned corporations. Contact the Advocacy Center.

For General information on a country’s yearly economic, political and investment climate, check:

Country Commercial Guides

Economic Policy and Trade Practices

For specific information check Trade Statistics available at the International Trade Administration.